Situational Awareness for Public Safety Officials
Anyone responsible for public safety in the digital age knows that data can be a critical tool to address threats in advance. A radio frequency (RF) spectrum analyzer allows security professionals to detect and locate RF signals as well as detect rapid significant changes in the event someone is attempting to jam channels.
The image above shows an RF spectrogram of a stadium event day during tailgating when tens of thousands of fans choose to enjoy their wireless devices, live stream video on televisions, and use WiFi enabled grills.
Radio Frequency Spectrum Analyzer Solution
AeroDefense’s Radio Frequency (RF) Spectrum Analyzer, AirWarden, includes configurable alert capabilities and detects and locates many types of RF signals using spectrum sensing:
- Drone Controllers
- Streaming Cameras
- Dash Cameras
- Metal Detectors
- Vehicle Remote Controllers
- Boat Remote Controllers
- Other Controllers
- Any Unauthorized RF Signal
The technology scans the open band RF channels utilized by a wide variety of RF technologies.
The diagram above is an illustration of the data flow between a frequency hopping spread spectrum controller (Mavic Pro) transmitting to a drone. The drone is responding with a wide-band WiFi-like signal back to the controller. AeroDefense’s radio frequency spectrum analyzer:
- Detects the presence of these communications and other RF signals
- Locates the sources
- Alerts the appropriate authorities
Increasing Drone Security
Spectrum analysis is unaffected by the arms race between RF drone detection systems that illegally decode and demodulate signals and drone manufacturers. As drone detection systems continue to extract information from drone/controller communication channels, drone manufacturers increase security of their drones to make this more difficult. Because AirWarden operates on the physical signal level only, the system in unaffected and continues to function when the drone/controller channel is encrypted.
- Passive RF detection that does not demodulate or decode signals
- “The Technology does not include a capability to defeat or interfere with the flight of UAS, or perform signal analysis functions which would require legal authorization.” –DHS SAFETY Act website
- One sensor type to detect & locate provides higher reliability
- Proven deployments in complex urban RF environments
- Not affected by signal encryption
- Line of sight not required
REQUEST A DEMO